How did the customer order this?

ColsCreations
Honored Contributor

I published this card at the 18" x 24" size with the merchandising option locked to "this size and orientation only" so even when signed-in as the designer, that's the only size option available on the product page. But someone ordered it yesterday at the 24" x 36" size so I am wondering how they managed to do that?

Store IconStore IconWebsite IconFacebook IconPinterest IconInstagram IconInstagram Icon
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you. Mystery solved. It's as simple as the customer accessing the item from their Saved Designs. (Which is why I needed to be signed-in to test, anon visitors don't have a Saved Designs to go back to). Just clicking Personalize puts it in your Saved Designs, you don't even have to actually make any edits. And then when you access it from Saved Designs, all the size options that weren't there before because the Creator restricted them, are there. So huh, seems like a pretty big loop-hole. 🤔

In the case of my card, it's a border design so has to be created individually for each size so I did one at 8.5 x 11 (which is a different product blank entirely) and another at 18 x 24. So when I clicked through to the product from the Royalty History line, the first thing I noticed was that the border was messed up, only had top & bottom border. Clearly the customer didn't care as they ordered it at that size anyway. (So now I know I need to make one at that XXL size of 24 x 36, too.) Anyways, yeah, mystery solved - restricted options are easily bypassed via Saved Designs.

Store IconStore IconWebsite IconFacebook IconPinterest IconInstagram IconInstagram Icon

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Barbara
Honored Contributor II

I thought maybe the person transferred it, but when I tried this, I couldn't even choose your original size.

Colorwash's Home

CrazyMermaid
Valued Contributor II

First I clicked on postcard to transfer it from a card. Then once I had a postcard I was able to transfer it to another card size. Was it a transferred item?

No. It was customized but not transferred.

But you did find a loop-hole. I had tested transferring a locked size with a pillow I have set at 16 x 16 only. I was thinking one could skirt locked merchandising options by using Transfer this Design to put it on the product variant(s) the designer ruled out but Zazzle has already thought to block the variants from coming up when you search for the product to transfer it to. So I couldn't transfer the 16 x 16 pillow design to a 20 x 20 pillow. However, as you have found, you can transfer it to an intermediate product, then from there transfer it again to the dis-allowed variant. Interesting. (This as a customer - signed in as the designer you can transfer you own design directly to the dis-allowed variants.)

But in this case there was no transfer. And if I click through to the product from the royalty history line, the only size in the size options box is the 24 x 36 they ordered. I'm delighted with the sale in the larger and thus more expensive size, just perplexed as to how they did it as I as the designer can't even make it happen.

Barbara
Honored Contributor II

Thinking about this mystery, it popped into my head that, quite a long time ago, a customer managed to get around my locked size for Post-its, going for the smaller version...somehow. Apparently, there are some very clever customers out there.

Colorwash's Home

Do you have a product with simple options like a throw pillow or illuminated sign that's locked to one size or shape you could share? I want to try something while signed in but as a customer so it has to be someone else's product.

Thank you. Mystery solved. It's as simple as the customer accessing the item from their Saved Designs. (Which is why I needed to be signed-in to test, anon visitors don't have a Saved Designs to go back to). Just clicking Personalize puts it in your Saved Designs, you don't even have to actually make any edits. And then when you access it from Saved Designs, all the size options that weren't there before because the Creator restricted them, are there. So huh, seems like a pretty big loop-hole. 🤔

In the case of my card, it's a border design so has to be created individually for each size so I did one at 8.5 x 11 (which is a different product blank entirely) and another at 18 x 24. So when I clicked through to the product from the Royalty History line, the first thing I noticed was that the border was messed up, only had top & bottom border. Clearly the customer didn't care as they ordered it at that size anyway. (So now I know I need to make one at that XXL size of 24 x 36, too.) Anyways, yeah, mystery solved - restricted options are easily bypassed via Saved Designs.

Barbara
Honored Contributor II

You have an admirable way of grabbing onto a mystery and sticking with it until you solve it. I've had the same mystery with Post-its, which I almost always restrict because one size rarely translates into another, and yet a customer will, occasionally, get around this. From now on, I'll try to create the various sizes and shapes.

Thank you for your doggedness.

Colorwash's Home

Fascinating. Good detecting!