Why am I getting less than 10% royalty? Please let me know what is 5.0% below 10.0% on second sale?

Zainab_Baloch
New Contributor II

IMG_6229.jpeg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Referral Carveout: If the sale of a Product is to a User referred from graphical or text links displayed on products, promotions, emails and/or web properties other than the Site, Zazzle will retain a referral carveout fee of twenty percent (20%) of your Gross Royalty* for the Product.

In other words, for anything that shows up in your Royalty Report as a 3rd Party or Self referral, 20% of your gross royalty (NOT the gross sale amount) is deducted as the "carve-out".

Store IconStore IconWebsite IconFacebook IconPinterest IconInstagram IconInstagram Icon

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

MOM
Contributor II

That’s a good question. I would not know unfortunately. 🤔

San FranciscoSan FranciscoFacebookflickrInstagramLinkedinPinterestRedditTikTokThreadsvimeoXYouTube

A_New_View
Contributor III

Not sure, but that 5% on the second scale may be in reference to an envelope or other extra item, depending on what the product was. For example, I know that there is an option on some items for the customer to check (or not) 

A_New_View_3-1714955374549.png

Not sure if this is the answer or not. I had been wondering the same thing when I figured this was probably it.

Cat
Honored Contributor II

You're correct. It's for envelopes or other add-on stuff selected by the customer. I stumbled upon the explanation in the help files the other day, but of course I forgot to bookmark the page and now I can't find it! But basically, you get the percentage you set for the product itself, but for any add-on stuff you get the standard royalty rate which is 5%.

Zainab_Baloch
New Contributor II

You’re right! 5% could be the envelopes and other items added however on the 1st and 3rd sale why is my royalty lower than 10% when I myself set it on 10%?? 

Because the customer used a coupon code or you are sharing your earnings with a 3rd party or both.

Can you please elaborate how am I sharing my earnings with 3rd party? 

Cat
Honored Contributor II

If someone promotes your product (posts a link to it online etc.) or if Zazzle features it in an ad, the person or entity doing the promoting (i.e., the 3rd party) earns a 15% commission on the sale. The percentage you earn is calculated on the sale price less that 15% commission.

Referral Carveout: If the sale of a Product is to a User referred from graphical or text links displayed on products, promotions, emails and/or web properties other than the Site, Zazzle will retain a referral carveout fee of twenty percent (20%) of your Gross Royalty* for the Product.

In other words, for anything that shows up in your Royalty Report as a 3rd Party or Self referral, 20% of your gross royalty (NOT the gross sale amount) is deducted as the "carve-out".

Store IconStore IconWebsite IconFacebook IconPinterest IconInstagram IconInstagram Icon

Cat
Honored Contributor II

@ColsCreations Thank you! I'm assuming you found that in one of the help files? I looked EVERYWHERE and couldn't find it! 

So, assuming a $10 sale price and a 10% royalty I thought it worked this way:
$10 sale price - $1.50 to referrer = $8.50 * 0.10 = $0.85 royalty to the designer

But it actually works this way:
$10 sale price * 0.10 = $1.00 royalty * 0.20 carveout = $0.20 carveout fee. $1.00-$0.20 = $0.80 to the designer 

It seems to imply that it's the same fee whether it's a self referral or a 3rd party one. So I guess in the case of 3rd party referrals we get less than we would if they calculated it the way I thought, but in the case of self-referrals (if you're in the promoter 2.0 program) we get more. Hmmm... 

ColsCreations
Honored Contributor

It's stated here in the Royalty section.

It seems to imply that it's the same fee whether it's a self referral or a 3rd party one.

Yes. Doesn't matter, either way it's 20% of the gross royalty.
So in your example above, if it's a self-referral, $0.20 (20% of $1)  is deducted for the carveout, but you earn the $1.50  (15% of $10) as the referrer so still come out $1.30 ahead.
If you're in the promoter program, the royalty stays the same. 10% of $10 = $1 and the carveout is still $0.20 (20% of $1)  but you'd earn $3.00 (30% x $10) as the referral instead, coming out $2.80 ahead.

So I guess in the case of 3rd party referrals we get less than we would if they calculated it the way I thought

I guess that depends on the actual numbers. I tried your way on two real-life items, address labels at $20.25/20% and a lighted wall sign at $225/17.2%. If you deduct 15% of the sale price before calculating the royalty, you def earn less than taking 20% of the gross royalty.

Cat
Honored Contributor II

Oy! All of those numbers make my head spin, but I'm glad it actually works out better for us in real-life situations. I guess it's sort of a moot point since it's not like we get to vote on this stuff anyhow!

And of course it never occurred to me to look in the user agreement - I kept searching through the help files... doh! 😝