Questions about the Sesame Street Design Contest

Malissa
Valued Contributor

Good morning!  I saw the info about the design contest yesterday, but the questions thread never appeared so I thought I would start it so I could ask my question.

The contest details say that the winners' designs/artwork will become the property of the Sesame Street Store and that we give up all rights and interest to the art.  We are not allowed to add a signature either.  I am assuming that would include a subtle initial worked into the design?  Will there be any kind of artist credit given in the description or anywhere,  or are we creating a piece that will appear be attributed solely to Sesame Street?

My Zazzle StoreMy Art WebsiteMy PinterestMy Art InstagramMy YouTube ChannelTiktok Icon
36 REPLIES 36

Jadendreamer13
Valued Contributor II

If that’s the case, that’s a hard no for me. If my product ends up selling $600,000 in revenue, and all I received was whatever the prize money was, then I’d be giving most of my potential profit away.

The winners also receive 5% of the sale or royalty in addition to the $1,000 prize money.  I need to check again.  And it is a limited run in the Sesame Street store so it is not evergreen. It is still a cool opportunity, I just want artist credit somewhere too for the winner.

eta- also, we can't sell Sesame Street images anyway so any profit is more than zero on that particular design.

My Zazzle StoreMy Art WebsiteMy PinterestMy Art InstagramMy YouTube ChannelTiktok Icon

You get 5% of any sales featuring your product "..as well as the opportunity to earn 5% of the net sales of any products* featuring their artwork, subject to terms and conditions" from the above linked page. 

Malissa
Valued Contributor

@HeatherI just wanted to bring attention to this thread since they get buried so quickly. 😬 Thanks in advance for any answer you can give.

Thanks so much! I will edit my other post! 🙂 

Jadendreamer13
Valued Contributor II

Ok, then that changes everything. 🙂

Heather
Creator Team
Creator Team

Thanks so much for starting the thread! Appreciate it 🙂

Here's some responses from our team regarding your questions: 

• The contest details say that the winners' designs/artwork will become the property of the Sesame Street Store and that we give up all rights and interest to the art. - This means that while you retain the copyright to the artwork itself,  you are not granted a license to sell products with this artwork on Zazzle or otherwise.  Sesame Street assumes the rights to sell merchandise with the submitted artwork on their store on Zazzle but you will earn 5% of the net sales if it does, just like you would for any product you sell in your store that's set to a 5% royalty rate.
  • We are not allowed to add a signature either. I am assuming that would include a subtle initial worked into the design?  Correct.     
  • Will there be any kind of artist credit given in the description or anywhere, or are we creating a piece that will appear be attributed solely to Sesame Street? We will announce winners along with the artist's name on site and/or social media.  If products with the artwork are offered on the site there will be an attribution like this above the product's title on the product page: by Jane Doe for Sesame Street Design Contest.

Malissa
Valued Contributor

Great!  Thanks for clarifying.  I'm excited to play around with characters I grew up with!

Lais
Contributor III

That's a very nice contest! I hope there will be more contests like this in the future. 

RositaOrtiz
New Contributor

I want to ask if the submissions can be artificially generated art?

Pixelan
Valued Contributor

Hi, no it's not allowed "

• No AI generated artwork"

From: https://www.zazzle.com/store/sesamedesigncontest/rules

Thank you for replying me. 🙂  Pitty because making AI art look good is not as easy as some people think.

Cotodi
New Contributor

Hello,

Can we submit a surface pattern design tile that can be used on wrapping paper, gift bags, home decor, etc.?

If so, can we submit a 12" x 12" 300dpi PNG tile? or do we have to format the tile to 20” x 24”?

Please advise.

Yes, absolutely! Vector is preferred but a 12" x 12"  PNG is sufficient.

KHUSHBOO
New Contributor III

Can we create part of our sublission in any other software like procreate and then add part of it into illustrator to create an Ai file ??

Also i am confused about the product we need to deliver for moments.it should be invitations ?? 

Malissa
Valued Contributor

It doesn't have to be created in illustrator.  I am going to use paint and paper to create my entry and then scan it to convert it to a digital file.  You can use .ai or png.  They just prefer the ai file.

You can use any program to draw character art as long as there is no use of ai (artificial intelligence).

• For original character artwork: Ai file (Adobe Illustrator)  is preferred. For PNG or JPG files: 20” x 24” or similar @300 ppi. At a minimum 10” x 12” or similar dimensions. If submitting a product link, make sure the product is in direct-only mode.

You do NOT have to create products with your designs. Submitting artwork is fine.  If that artwork has elements or text that make it suitable for celebrating one of life's moment then it will be judged for that category. If you would like to fully design create an actual product, such as a party invitation you can.  But you can choose any product.  If you elect to do this, please be sure provide a link to the product (and make it direct-only). Or to your store (if you make it hidden), and kindly send us a screen shot with your submission. Thanks!

ShadoWind
Contributor II

Is it alright if we share our entries on social media? or is it better not to?

Yes! We would encourage you to share your artwork on social media. Images only. Please link to this page, not to any products. #Zazzlemade for a chance to be reposted. Thanks!

ArianeC
New Contributor II

If we create a design for an invitation and create the product  , even if we keep it hidden , we will still need to add a title and tags . How do we avoid being flagged for copyrights ? 

Malissa
Valued Contributor

If I were submitting a product I would put something like "Baby Shower for Sesame Street Contest" and just use that for title, description, and a tag. 

ArianeC
New Contributor II

Thank you so very much Malissa , that is a great suggestion 💖 . Have a lovely weekend 😊

Malissa
Valued Contributor

You are welcome.  Since it will be a direct only product in your shop, no one will see it to report it and it doesn't really matter what you use because Z will take care of adding the proper data when they add the products to the Sesame Street shop.

Have a great weekend as well!

DDD
New Contributor

Oh no, I missed the opportunity to participate the contest. I just learned about this contest today. Would we have more future contests? Where can I find those future contests or would I receive an email letting me know that there is a new contest? I'd love to participate those contests like that. Lately, I have been having Artist's Block. I think joining contests would help me knock down this block gradually. Thanks so much for your help.

Hi DDD! We plan to offer more contests in the future. Stay tuned! We communicate on the forum, in email, through onsite notifications and within the Creator News section of your account. 

laurene
New Contributor II

Were the winners for this announced yet?

Hi @laurene - Winners were not announced yet. We should be announcing the winners soon! 

laurene
New Contributor II

Okay thank you, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss it.

Pixelan
Valued Contributor

Looking forward to see all the cool Sesame Street artwork people created.

ShadoWind
Contributor II

My design won judges pick!!💜💜💜 Thanks so much Seasame Street team this is a great opportunity to help get my art out in the world!!! Trying to be patient but I am excited!  I haven't heard back anything yet about the process I am suppose to go through to get products approved?  I am wondering do I sell them on my own shop, or do they get sold through the Seasame Street Offical Store here on Zazzle?

Pixelan
Valued Contributor

From the contest page "*Zazzle will create products with the winning designs and add them to the Sesame Street store for a limited time." 

BTW. where did you see the announcement of the winners?

they sent me an e-mail a while back, so I guess no public announcement as of yet! opps 😋

Sara_H
Honored Contributor

@ShadoWind Congrats! 

T&Cs state 'Judge’s Picks - Additional submissions may be chosen for the opportunity to earn 5% of nets sales of the products* featuring their artwork, subject to terms and conditions** 

*Zazzle will create products with the winning designs and add them to the Sesame Street store for a limited time. **Zazzle’s license agreement and Sesame Street Design Contest Rules and Regulations

whoops just seen @Pixelan answer (I got interrupted by my cat half way through posting 🤣)

Pixelan
Valued Contributor

No worries 🙂

Congrats @ShadoWind  looks like there isn't an official announcement yet?

ShadoWind
Contributor II

Also BIG Congrats to everyone else who won or who also got a judges pick!! 😸