How to Optimize Hundreds of Products

Windy
Honored Contributor

I had to step away from Zazzle for over a year and when that was all over, I came back to a massive number of products which had been hidden by the system. This was due to these products not having been clicked on (viewed) by anyone for a long period of time. I wanted to review each product with the idea of perhaps returning  it to the market place, but the job seemed overwhelming.  I found a method that worked for me and I  got my entire backlog of hidden products/products needing optimization cleared out by taking action routinely over a period of just a few weeks.

My main roadblock was a feeling of revulsion when opening the products page and seeing an endless list of products waiting for attention. I felt not only revulsion, but also an intense sense of boredom!  Therefore I broke the task up into smaller parts that I felt I could tackle. Here's how I did it:

I went to the products page in the backend (officially called the store management area) and I searched for something specific.  I typed "Christmas" into the search bar, and then clicked the radio button for "optimization needed". Now I was no longer looking at a daunting list of 523 products. Instead I was seeing  a much smaller set of products, maybe only 54. I bookmarked this set, and I named my bookmark "Current Clean-out". Each time I came into Zazzle over the next week or so, I clicked that bookmark, which brought me directly to the Christmas products needing optimization. I  looked at that particular set of products and, one by one, decided if I wanted to take action on the product, such as:

• Upgrade title, description and or keyword tags.
  • Give the product a cover photo, or create a better cover photo. 
  • Delete the product. I nixed anything I deemed to be outdated, such as my shirt for the Omicron variant of Covid. No one ever talks about that these days. I also deleted a fairly large number of products which are no longer a reflection of the best work I can do. 
  • Delete and remake. I did this in cases where the idea or the design still seemed worthwhile, but had not been done to very high standards.
  • Unhide product.  Very important! (This can be accomplished either in the Edit Details area or the More Options area.) I have read that if you simply UNHIDE, the unhiding might not take effect unless you also make some other change. Because of this, I always upgraded my tags if no other action seemed appropriate.

Once I was done with the "Christmas list", I then chose a new search term and made another small manageable set. I tried terms like "blue" and "postcard" and "flowers" and "mug".  Working from that new small set of products needing optimization, I conquered those items over a period of a few days  and then made another set and another. Meanwhile, I was able to carry on creating new products, because I was only spending a few minutes a day on the task of optimizing hundreds of products. 

Maybe others facing a daunting set of products needing to be optimized will find this helpful.

3 REPLIES 3

bereandesigns
New Contributor III

This is super helpful, @Windy. Thank you for sharing. Interesting to read that products remain hidden if we unhide them but don't actually change anything! (Oh dear!)

CreativeLeahG
Honored Contributor III

Very useful tips Windy, thank you

Graphics Bundles ️ Ninja Niche Course Invitation Design Course ️ Mockups and TemplatesFREE Advice/Guides/tips ️by LeahG Pro Platinum

SandyMDesigns
Contributor III

Thank you for the information. I find this helpful.