New listing layout confusion and fonts

kimmpossible
New Contributor III

I am sorry if these issues have already been addressed, but I didn't see any other threads covering them. I have received a lot of messages recently asking if my invitations were offered in digital form. It seems the new layout on listing pages is confusing for people. They do not see the "instant download" option as easily as they did before the change. Would really love if it could be more clear for people to purchase instant downloads. I do not have a way on my end to check if my instant download sales have changed since the change, but I have had to direct many customers to the "choose your format" menu. 

The other thing I would like to address is fonts. Will Zazzle ever allow us to upload our own fonts that we have purchased and are available for commercial use? I sell on Etsy as well as Zazzle and use the Corjl editing platform for invitations on Etsy. Corjl allows me to upload my own fonts, so I am not limited to just their fonts. 

Thank you,

Kim Wilhite

6 REPLIES 6

Cat
Honored Contributor II

Totally agree with you about the download thing - I think customers are having a harder time figuring out how to order a digital download. There are several threads about it in the forum, some folks think that's by design - that Zazzle wants to discourage digital downloads. I'm not sure, but I personally LOVE the download thing - it's been great for me, so I wish it was easier and more apparent for the customer.

In terms of the fonts, if you have purchased the rights to use a font, you can save the words you want to use as a png or svg file and then upload them as an image. I doubt Zazzle will ever allow fonts to be uploaded into the design tool so you can create text templates using them, because that would likely put Zazzle in a sticky legal situation. I'm no expert on font licensing, but I think that allowing customers to access them through the design tool would be considered distributing the font rather than just using it, and that would require a whole different sort of license. From what I understand, there's some ambiguity in the law regarding copyrights and fonts, so I wouldn't expect them to offer that sort of thing any time soon.

kimmpossible
New Contributor III

Thank you, Cat. You are always so great about replying to posts. Appreciate that. That makes a lot of sense that Zazzle may be trying to discourage instant downloads. Hopefully that is not the case and they are able to fix the confusion. Instant downloads have been great for me, too. 

Dba
New Contributor III

That is interesting, because I have watched youtube video recently where girl was talking about Zazzle and their copyright issues right now. She said that one of fonts was bought with single user license only and artist who made it sued Zazzle. 

kimmpossible
New Contributor III

That is interesting for sure! I feel like Zazzle runs a pretty tight ship, so that is a huge blow for them. Etsy is a disaster with all of the copying going on.

Fiona

Thank you for the feedback here @kimmpossible, I've passed this on to the team now!

-Fiona😎

Connie
Honored Contributor

It would be impossible for Zazzle to police all the fonts that people would upload, to make sure they have the proper licensing. Most standard font licenses prohibit using it on sites like Zazzle and Corjl as templates. And I don't think a whole lot of people would buy the very expensive proper licenses, or even know that they have to!