We are seeing the dawn of a New Era - Old Timers I hear You, Hang in There

CreativeLeahG
Honored Contributor III

In the not-so-distant past, Zazzle was the go-to platform for creators looking to turn their artistic talents into a lucrative business venture. The equation was simple: the more you sold, the more you sold.

Your hard work and dedication to driving traffic to the platform through blogs, websites, and social media content were rewarded with top spots in the marketplace. However, the landscape on Zazzle has shifted, leaving some long-time creators feeling left behind. In the early days, some creators voiced concerns that new talent should have a chance to shine and be showcased on the platform. While this sentiment has its merits and it definitely does, GREAT design should be seen! There is a flip side....

Those who achieved top spots didn't get there by luck; they put in years of effort, honed their craft, and identified niches that resonated with customers. Many creators didn't just stumble upon designs that sold well; they actively shaped and popularized those niches, introducing them to a global customer base. They invested time and energy in making Zazzle a thriving marketplace. So, it's understandable that they feel a sense of ownership over their niches and designs.

Nowadays, the landscape has evolved with the introduction of "Editor's Picks." These selections showcase fabulous designs, but they sometimes include works that bear a striking resemblance to best-selling creations. It can be disheartening to see your labor and creativity overshadowed by imitations that rise to the top through such exposure. 

Another more sobering point is that while new creators as yet do not rely on Zazzle income as a full-time 'wage', others here do. It is their only means to pay their bills and support their families and so having the 'rug-pulled' overnight by way of changes can have devastating financial implications. I feel for every old-timer who has experienced this in recent times.

I support new creators and offer many opportunities myself as an affiliate and via my site for them to shine. Shine the light on new talent that is unique, introducing new niches, and yes Editors' picks should be open to every creator new and old. But don't forget about the innovators, the movers and the shakers who were instrumental in making this platform a success.

As creators, it's natural to feel a sense of loyalty to the platform that has provided a platform for your work. However, it's essential to adapt to changing circumstances.

Here's how:

Keep Innovating: Instead of dwelling on the past, continue creating new designs and introducing micro-niches. Innovation can set you apart and keep your sales rolling.

Stay Passionate: Remember that your creativity is at the core of your success. Continue to create what you love because passion often leads to your best work.

Leverage the vast array of courses, guides, tutorials available online: Take advantage of Zazzle-related course content to improve your chances of success. The platform is continually evolving, and understanding its intricacies can help you adapt. Ensure the course content HAS been adapted to meet the current challenges.

Pay It Forward: Just as you received support and advice when starting out, consider sharing your knowledge and experience with newer creators. Building a supportive community can benefit everyone.

Finally, while Zazzle's evolution may seem challenging for long-time creators, it's important to adapt and embrace change. Continue to do what you love, but also keep an eye on the evolving landscape to maximize your success. By staying true to your creativity and continually innovating, you can navigate this new era on Zazzle and continue to thrive.

Graphics Bundles ️ Ninja Niche Course Invitation Design Course ️ Mockups and TemplatesFREE Advice/Guides/tips ️by LeahG Pro Platinum
5 REPLIES 5

mylittleeden
Valued Contributor

Wise words Leah. It certainly is always evolving and it sure can be difficult to keep motivated when you see others take an idea you had and run with it and get to the top whikst yours falls away. Happened more times than I care to remember! As a artist and designer that is one aspect I have struggled with the most. But you have to keep pushing and coming up with new ideas at least for me that is one aspect I really enjoy. Whether you are only just starting or if like me been plodding away for well over a decade (and only recently got to gold). With all the changes it does feel like I have a mountain of work to revisit and work on to bring it up amd back into the marketplace and not much time to create new work for me that will always be the most frustrating thing. Making new art is the bit I really crave but that is life... I am still thankful to be here selling and creating designs and artwork I love and my wonderful customers appreciate 😃 Never give up we have got this 💪 

DM
Contributor

What is your advice to people who have had Zazzle get rid of the things they sold? Zazzle used to be the best place for shirts. Now? Not so much. I look at my shops and see designs on shirts that are no longer sold, with no way to put them back into the marketplace than re-create them. Losing all ranking in the process. What's the point? Zazzle decided to go in a different direction for whatever reason. They'll do it again as long as it makes money. One day they'll abandon paper the way they abandoned shirts, and we either go along with them or go somewhere else.

LMGildersleeve
Valued Contributor II

homespuncottage
Contributor II

Not to be a gloomy  Gus and I appreciate all of that Zazzle has done, but multiple mock ups and now video. It's a lot, I have to admit I feel a little overwhelmed. 

PatriciaC_Vener
New Contributor II

Evolution is survival. I only quit a venue if I have qualms about their respect for the creators. For example, I closed my Etsy shop when they stopped being a "Handmade" market instead giving in to the devestating influx of slave labor and mass produced resellers. It was an insult to their original vision and they made these changes while still claiming to be "handmade." 
I need to garner income from Zazzle. I'm not there yet, but I'm hoping I can do it. That's why I pay attention to the various changes and to the Facebook groups related to artists in the PoD world.