Contributor

For those who are not yet aware of the biggest online news story right now, Paypal have been forced to U-turn on a policy to fine their users $2,500 if they have been judged to post any 'mis-information' online... judged by Paypal, that is. For obvious reasons, people started closing their Paypal accounts in droves... and still are, despite the company saying it was 'a mistake'.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/delete-paypal-searches-spike-after-2-500-misinformation-fine-contr...

The fact is that they do want to implement that policy, and that shows them to not be a 'real' bank, but instead a politically motivated company that their customers simply cannot trust to hold their money. You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. Paypal have now laid their cards on the table.

The $2,500 fine fiasco follows the closing of the UK's 'Free Speech Union' account without explanation.
https://a2zfacts.net/articles/paypal-closes-account-of-uks-free-speech-union-without-explanation/

No 'real' bank would be allowed to do this unless an actual crime had been committed in the country where the account holder was based. That was not the case. Again, this was politically motivated by what 'Paypal believes' is or isn't free speech. And again, no 'real' bank would be allowed to do this.

I decided a few months ago to delete Paypal from my life completely because I was expecting something like the above to occur, and I firmly believe not only in the ideal of free speech, which has always been at the very core of democracy, but also because I want to know my money is in safe hands, and fully protected by the law of the land. That's what a 'real' bank offers.

I believe that Zazzle has a responsibility to its creators to at least provide alternatives to online payment of earnings, when the one company that we are forced to adopt has begun closing some of its users' accounts, without any explanation, and has shown that it intends to adopt - at some point in the future - a fining policy of thousands of dollars for anyone 'it decides' has breached its own 'misinformation' rules.

Zazzle currently offers an alternative of payment by check, but if the company wants to present itself as a global and forward thinking company, other online payment options are surely the only realistic policy to put in place.

Currently, there is a significant backlash against Paypal and the term #BoycottPaypal is trending fast. What if Paypal were to collapse at some point in the future, or not be able to operate, for any reason? What if it now becomes the main target of hacking and is regularly offline? Who knows what the future will bring. The only sensible action is to cover your bases.

Without an alternative payment option in place, Zazzle can only rely on Paypal, for better or for worse. Surely, Zazzle can easily offer alternative methods of earnings payments. After all, the company offers the usual banking alternatives for customer payments. This also raises the obvious question of why Zazzle can't simply pay my earnings into a 'real' bank account? However, if online payment systems are the only realistic option for Zazzle, then alternative options are the only true way to guarantee financial security going forward, for both Zazzle and creators! Having all your eggs in one basket is simply not a wise or realistic way to operate a global business.

I believe Zazzle should look at this urgently.

What do you think?

Until Zazzle provide this basic provision to its creators, I am forced to look at the check payment alternative. Does anyone have any experience of this? How long will I have to wait for a check to arrive at a UK address each month?

14 Comments
AirTwin
New Contributor III

@Barbara bank and paypal already blamed my bank... I have made the same linked transfer many times before and this time they blame my bank, when it's them with the problems.

If the Zazzle slow comment is about what I said before?  Zazzle doesn't payout until the 15th, it drafts in the first, I made a request before that date.
I might be new to this new forum set up but I'm not new to Zazzle or Paypal, both are slow with the copy and paste answering from their customer supports.

Windy
Honored Contributor

Only a few people read the forum. It might be more useful to try to reach people through Facebook Zazzle groups. I think you may be able to find a couple of those groups through my page at https://www.facebook.com/ArtGiftsbyWindyDesign/

Barbara
Honored Contributor II

@AirTwin  A few times in the past, I called PayPal to work something out and I had excellent results. Maybe that's the best way to contact them, though things may have changed drastically over the past couple years when people started working from home and now seem to have stayed there. Regardless, have you tried calling them?

Colorwash's Home

Scott
Community Manager
Community Manager

There's now three of these same conversations in the Ideas board. I'm going to close this one in favor of another conversation with more Kudos. https://community.zazzle.com/t5/ideas-suggestions/please-reconsider-paying-by-direct-deposit-to-bank...