Download Royalties for Newly Created Posters are Defaulting to the Invitation Rate

Cat
Honored Contributor II

When I create a new poster and offer it for digital download, instead of defaulting to 94.25%, which is the suggested royalty for posters, the royalty defaults to 92.89% which is the suggested royalty for invitations. 

Is this a bug or is this by design? 

jennifer22
Contributor II

Definitely an error here. I just posted to the technical forum that posters aren't keeping chosen royalty rates. I wanted 97%, but it put it at 92.89%. I just added the product a few minutes ago.

https://www.zazzle.com/construction_happy_birthday_with_age_boy_poster-256925893739037050

Scott
Community Manager
Community Manager

If you change the royalty rate on the publish page it may take a bit of time to reflect on the product page. It may be possible to speed this process up by publishing the product, then going in to the product page and opening the Edit Details menu and adjusting things from there.

Scott_0-1674839900339.png

Cat
Honored Contributor II

OK, but that's not the issue. I assumed that for posters the royalty should default to 94.25% which is the recommended royalty rate for that product. Instead it's defaulting to 92.89%. I can easily change it, that's not a problem, I just thought it should pop up with the recommended rate. Are you saying this is expected behavior?

Scott
Community Manager
Community Manager

I think the default royalty for each product type is slightly different. For posters it does look like it's 92.89%

Cat
Honored Contributor II

All of the instant downloads are defaulting to 92.89% when you create the product. But according to this link the recommended royalty for posters is 94.25% - that's the rate that was set for everything that got automatically migrated. Similarly, for greeting cards the recommended rate was 78.5% but when you create one it defaults to 92.89%. 

I'm happy to set the royalty at whatever Zazzle recommends - I figure you guys did a bunch of market research to come up with those rates/prices, just pointing out that the defaults don't match your recommendations.

Scott
Community Manager
Community Manager

I see, sorry for the mis-read. It's definitely possible that we're working on pricing-related things that haven't made it to my desk just yet. I'll provide a more helpful update when I have one.

Cat
Honored Contributor II

No worries! I probably wasn't clear in my initial post. Just wanted to let you know in case it was an oversight.

@Scott , 
We're all very THANKFUL for the POSITIVE things coming out of this, but...
Let us be clear and REASON together..
What we are voicing as CREATORS is that we expect HONESTY and INTEGRITY on what Zazzle is PROMISING us.
As Zazzle posts NEW material and CHANGES for us, please keep it REAL.
Tell us the GOOD with the BAD.  As for me, I'm NOT PREPARED to sell myself SHORT on POSTER products and the ROYALTY RATE in any case!!!
Let's keep HONESTY at the FOREFRONT so there's no DECEPTION because the world is full of that already.  I would hope to find comfort here, please!
Thanks.

Susang6
Contributor III

I am having the same problem. I have a few that I set at 96 and they were fine for a few hours but then went back to 92.89 

nyclosangeles
Contributor III

This is also happening to me as well.  I DISABLED all of these products. I won't be ENABLING them until ZAZZLE finds a FAIR and APPRORIATE solution.  I'm NOT selling posters for PENNIES.

Cat
Honored Contributor II

I'm not sure what you mean. I just changed the royalty when posting it to the recommended rate for posters (94.25%) I've sold several at that rate, and in all cases I made more than I would have if the customer had bought the physical poster.

@Cat 
Well, my apologies certainly, if this is the case....
I will go and check right now & repost.
That's GREAT NEWS!
Thanks! & All The BEST!

Some good news, 😉 
I did in fact re-check the royalty percentage via the edit option.
Now, this is crazy, but the royalty got a little hay wire and went off the charts up way, way, high, i mean higher like 300 percent high, but, i was able to FINALLY set it where I want it as i was NOT able to just this morning, so okay, very good!!!💎

Cat
Honored Contributor II

Yeah, the royalty formula goes a bit wonky when you get up close to 100% - like tiny changes in percentage makes the price shoot way up. The math geeks in my life assure me that this is just a function of how Zazzle's royalty/price formula is written. Plus, I think the calculator has been misbehaving lately too.

It all gives me a headache, so I'm just sticking with Zazzle's suggested royalties for the time being. Unfortunately when you post a new product it defaults everything to 92.89% which is the suggested royalty for invitations but not for posters, so I keep having to remind myself to change it to 94.25% when I make posters. Gah!

ANYHOW, I'm glad you got it sorted out! 😀