Instant Download: Questions, Suggestions and Feedback!

James
Creator Team
Creator Team

Hi Creators, 

We're so excited to introduce Instant Downloads to Zazzle. If you haven't checked out the announcement and dedicated Landing page including FAQ's and How it works, please do so.

We're sure you might have some questions about this and some thoughts, so please feel free to share them here. 

Thank you,

The Creator Team. 

393 REPLIES 393

ColsCreations
Honored Contributor

There's one thread with a question already here:
general-zazzle-discussion/i-just-had-to-disable-design-migration-and-you-might-have-to-too 
and in it @Cat provided three great links:
Instant Downloads: Frequently Asked Questions 
Instant Downloads: How it Works 
A new way to generate more sales on Zazzle 

In the links it says

Customers can edit your template and download a high-resolution, flattened file

and

Once the customer purchases the Instant Download, they will receive a private link to a copy of your design where they can edit the template details as well as download the flat file

Question #1: Does that mean they have to edit it before being able to download it, or can they download your original design as-is with no customizations?

Question #2: Folded cards have 4 "sides" we can design on. So do they get 4 separate flat files, one for each "side"? (Likewise for just flat cards with 2 design sides.) I can already see how this could be exploited by savvy designers and customers. If not what do they get? I'm having trouble imagining how a multi-sided card translates to a single image file.

Question #3: Is it correct to assume the attribution option (paying extra to "Remove Independent Creator Credit")  will apply to the digital files, too? So the digital image will have the QR code and credit line on it if they don't select to remove it?

Question #4: Would it be correct to assume Zazzle is going to have an "all sales FINAL" policy for digital downloads (NO refunds/credits on them) to prevent rampant abuse of this option?

Store IconStore IconWebsite IconFacebook IconPinterest IconInstagram IconInstagram Icon

Cat
Honored Contributor II

Great questions! 

Hi @ColsCreations ,

1. Customers will interact with Instant Downloads the same way as your published, printed products. (e.g., similiar behavior of “Show customize it button”, Template Fields, Locked Layers, etc.)
    They can download without customizing it except in circumstances where images have 'force replace' turned on (obviously to respect licensing restrictions)
  2. Customers who seek to share their life's moments via SMS or social media would be able to select one or several designated areas. (e.g., Front/Back/Inside/Outside, each with a corresponding flat image). Or, optionally, if they are up against a last-minute deadline and they plan to print at home, a zipped file containing a two-page print file (both sides) of the unfolded layout. Customers receive a personal use license when they purchase your product. Actions like Commercial user or reselling are prohibited under this user agreement. 
  3. Yes, the attribution option will also apply to digital. The customer has the ability to remove it.
  4. Customers know and trust Zazzle for our 100% Satisfaction guarantee.  We will explore the best way to represent digital content during and after the initial beta test.  As always, any exploits of our goodwill policy will not be tolerated.  We seek to understand customer return motivations (e.g., % returned before download, canceled events, unexpected interactions with the published design (fonts are not interactive, etc.))

Thank you.

klstock
Contributor III

in #4 here - 

"Customers know and trust Zazzle for our 100% Satisfaction guarantee.  We will explore the best way to represent digital content during and after the initial beta test.  As always, any exploits of our goodwill policy will not be tolerated.  We seek to understand customer return motivations (e.g., % returned before download, canceled events, unexpected interactions with the published design (fonts are not interactive, etc.))"

Does this mean the customer can buy the digital download - and then for some reason claim the event was canceled or give some other reason and then have it canceled/refunded? You can't return a digital file, that genie would be out of the bottle meaning they just got the artwork for free? 

I hope this is not the case and I am misunderstanding this!

KC
Contributor III

Agree, digital downloads are almost always 100% final sale, not returnable anywhere else except for extreme circumstances like a problem with the file or bad print resolution. 

The option to get a refund for a "canceled event" or "changed mind" really shouldn't be offered. 

Connie
Honored Contributor

Yes, this is opening Pandora's box for sure! All other sites that offer digital downloads do NOT accept returns. I suppose Zazzle could make an exception if the file wasn't downloaded at all.

We are looking into making Instant Downloads so they are non-returnable / non-refundable.

@James  - where is Zazzle at with this? i.e. making Instant downloads non-returnable-refundable?

Van
New Contributor III

How many downloaders may ignore terms of use, either by not reading them or choosing to ignore them? The fact anyone can file a counterclaim stating they "bought" the image if they were to use the downloaded design on (for example) etsy and the legitimate copyright holder files a DMCA is concerning. Hopefully I'm wrong but it seems this could make filing counterclaims a lot easier. I have enough counterclaim issues with blatant and brazen thieves, I certainly don't care to summon up more.

Brite
New Contributor II

Yes! I've been sick the last few years and not as attentive to my online work. While working on my Zazzle shop, I started seeing the downloadable tabs! I am furious! This is so wrong in so many different ways! Take it from someone who has dealt with having my art stolen. 

Where do I opt out by November 1st?? I can't find it anywhere. A few folks have posted a link, but it just takes me to a page with business cards. Thank you for help with finding this in advance ~Angel

Store > Settings > Advanced Settings

You opt out in your store (or in each of your stores if you have more than one). Go to the store Settings tab then to Advanced Settings. Scroll down until you see a button to enable/disable digital download.

KeeganCreations

At first I couldn't see it either--Suddenly it stood out--FYI--Open up your store --go to "settings". Then LOOK far left under the photo used for your store--Go to Advance Settings--Open up and go to Design Migration---uncheck . Frankly it should be the other way around. People should "OPT-IN"  for this trial run.....so that others, who may not have the time, energy, where-with-all, or even notice that their art work is about to be downloaded can opt-out. Zazzle, I imagine, will get many compliments and should really get permission from store owners. No big changes, such as downloads, should happen to a store unless they opt-in.  Rethink this Zazzle!!!

Cat
Honored Contributor II

I agree with this suggestion. I'm personally SUPER excited about this possibility, but there are plenty of reasons that someone might not want to participate, or might have to opt out because they've purchased a license for their artwork that doesn't allow downloads... whatever. I think if they made it default to being opted OUT and people had to go opt IN, it would solve many of the problems.

p.s. I still haven't gotten any of the emails about this. I've checked my spam folder and nothing. I'm opted in for notifications - the only thing I can figure is that my ISP is blocking them somehow - that's today's project. But anyhow, if someone didn't get the announcement for some reason and got opted in, I can see it being a big problem for some folks.

GoodEarthPhotos
New Contributor III

Yes, I see it as a problem not only for folks (store owners) but for Zazzle as well; owners will turn to them (Zazzle) for any recourse owners might get.

savanamm
New Contributor III

I sell mostly business cards with my own logo designs. Does this mean that someone can transfer my design from business card to a poster or a greeting card and download the digital file for very small price??? I’ve uploaded .ai vector files for my designs and they can be enlarged to any size. 

Melissa_Patton
New Contributor III

I’m interested in this. I use stock photography on multiple cards and invitations. Will you force all templated photos to be replaced before download? Or, will you let us go into all our template photo products and switch on “force replace”? I have items that precede that option and others where it wasn’t necessary because there wasn’t a possibility for customer downloads.

- Feel free to promote my products. Let’s both make money while creating happy customers. Stores - Holidayday Design | Sweetsham Food Art

Hi @Melissa_Patton ,

Thanks for your question. Customers can purchase an Instant Download without modifying or replacing templated images, except in the case of images that are marked as force replace. You may edit your product by using the Design Edit tool to modify your older design and mark templated photos with force replace. If you think you have a lot of products you will need to do this for, I would recommend opting out of this for now and opting in once you are comfortable with all your products being set up correctly.  

Thank you.

Melissa_Patton
New Contributor III

Thanks, James. I have one store where the number of modifications isn’t too large. The other store has a larger number of photos. Any chance we can have the ability to remove individual products from the beta test directly after the mass transfer? I doubt most creators have stores without any of the elements in question (no stock photo templates without force replace, no stock graphic elements with restrictions, no purchased fonts as flattened images with restrictions).

- Feel free to promote my products. Let’s both make money while creating happy customers. Stores - Holidayday Design | Sweetsham Food Art

KC
Contributor III

I would like to make sure that someone can't delete all the text/placeholders and download just the background image/template/artwork.

Also, will the terms be very upfront and center when they checkout VS buried in the website terms page?
I would like it to be absolutely 100% clear that the intended use when downloads are purchased are NOT to be used for resale/for them to sell new designs using the artwork at all, and ONLY for personal use as they personalized it before checking out.

Jadendreamer13
Valued Contributor II

Once the digital downloads are released into the web, there is no stopping dishonest people from doing whatever please with the download.

It sounds like they purchase, then get a private link so they can customize and download, and re-customize and download as often as they want.

James
Creator Team
Creator Team

Hi KC, 

Customers interact with Instant downloads the same way as your published printed products. As an independent Creator, you must assess how accessible you want your Content to be available. We will have messaging throughout the shopping experience that the downloads are for personal use only. We will provide customers a Download License as part of their Instant Download purchase. For now, this license allows customers to customize, download, and re-customize as they see fit.

Thank you.

KeegansCreation
Valued Contributor III

Does this change into being done on an individual product basis on Nov. 1?

Once it's done on an individual product basis, how is that enabled individually? Will there be a tick box on the product page at the designer's end? Will it be in the drop down actions menu at the back end?

KeeganCreations

Hi @KeegansCreation ,

You’ll be able to sell your products as instant downloads individually or using bulk actions on your store’s My Products backend through individual action menus and bulk action menus. You’ll be able to take action on up to a full page of products at a time (up to 204 items per page). 

Thank you.

Hi James,

I am very interested in selling my work as digital downloads (customers ask me about this all the time), and I thank Zazzle for offering such a wonderful opportunity to increase sales! 

I have one question. It says we must double opt in. I understand about opting in by leaving the box ticked on our Advanced Settings page, but where is the other opt in? Will I have to manually go through all of my products (invites, posters etc.) and opt in (either in bulk or individually) before October 31st?

Kind Regards,

Dawn

beautiful, modern, Catholic designs

Barbara
Honored Contributor II

@albamarie:  You'll see just above the opt-in section a spot where you can check an opt-in for migration. This is normally for when one product is replaced by another very much like it. So, you have to have that checked as well as the opt-in box for digitizing your products.

Colorwash's Home

Thank you @Barbara!

beautiful, modern, Catholic designs

BN_Stationery
New Contributor III

In the future will we be able to specify individually which designs we want to make available instant download? I have a non compete clause with another digital company and cannot sell the same design in digital format (which are now available for print on zazzle)

I read in the FAQ that we will have to manually select each listing that will be available for digital download. 

"After October 31, 2022, you will need to opt-in to Instant Downloads manually -- on a per-listing basis."

BN_Stationery
New Contributor III

thanks, still trying to read through everything

Hi @BN_Stationery ,

Yes, you’ll have full control on which designs are available for instant download.

Lais
Contributor III

That's super awesome, I love it! Very exciting. 

HolidayHearts
New Contributor III

Excited for this new opportunity!

" For now, customers have unlimited access to edit and download the file."

One question for now:

Does the customer have unlimited access to edit the file repeatedly and download repeatedly for one price?  If so, I have an issue with this.  This allows someone to purchase the file one time and edit it over and over again unless I am misunderstanding?  I sell digital via another platform and on that platform the seller is able to limit the number of times a customer can download the design.  I would like to see Zazzle place a limit on how many times a customer can edit and download a purchased listing or at the very least allow the designer to place a limit on these options.  Otherwise, you are going to have savvy event people purchasing one time and editing and downloading without purchasing again over and over.  I hope I misunderstood.

Also, as someone above stated, I do have an issue with them being able to delete all of the fields and purchase a blank invite as well.  I hope Zazzle will have something in place to prevent this.

Also related to my above statement, I would like to see a time limit set on how long they have the opportunity to download.  The platform I referenced allows the designers to set that limit, but I would be ok with an across the board Zazzle standard limit as well.  Say, 30 days from date of purchase maybe?

I really am excited that we now have this opportunity.  With the exception of the above, I am looking forward to seeing increased sales. 

Cat
Honored Contributor II

Excellent points! If an event planner can simply purchase the template and use it over and over, that's a BIG problem!

James
Creator Team
Creator Team

Hi @Cat ,

Using Instant Downloads for commercial purposes will be explicitly forbidden. When we identify someone abusing this policy, we will take the appropriate actions on their member account, including banning them from using Zazzle and denying access to the Instant Downloads.

Ok, but how would you identify people who are abusing this?? I'm curious,

CreativeLeahG
Honored Contributor III

It will possibly be policed by us the way copyright infringement already is

Graphics Bundles ️ Ninja Niche Course Invitation Design Course ️ Mockups and TemplatesFREE Advice/Guides/tips ️by LeahG Pro Platinum