List of Image Sizes for Your Storefront

ColsCreations
Honored Contributor

* post last updated 11/08/2020

https://help.zazzle.com/hc/en-us/articles/232059087-Image-Asset-Sizes-Needed-for-Your-Store

Store banners are resized by Zazzle to 2048 x 565 and then are scaled to fit the viewing device so it is a good idea to keep important elements near the center as the outer edges may be cut off on some screens, particularly the right edge. Also try to avoid putting anything in the lower left 1/3 area as that gets covered by your profile pic block and title/desciption that Zazzle adds. Something that may be sort-of close to that area on one screen may actually be getting overlapped by it on another. The minimum allowed size is 1140 x 315.

Your Profile Pic that is overlayed on your store banner needs to be a minimum of 512 x 512 but it is displayed at 150 x 150.

Profile banners get sized to the same size as Store banners (2048 x 565) but in their case, it's the very center you want to avoid decorating on as that's where your profile pic and name & description are placed by Zazzle. The minimum allowed size is 1140 x 315.

Category cover images have no minimum required size but they are displayed st 253 x 253. Making them larger is just a waste as they aren't going to be displayed that big. Also, "window" style cover images that show a variety of the products in that category may look good at say 1280 x 1280 when you are creating them but when shrunk down to the display size of 253 x 253 the detail one might have been aiming for might not be as clear. Not to say there aren't a lot of great looking "windows" out there - there are - just keep in mind if you go that route it's only going to be seen at 253 x 253 not whatever larger size you design it at.

Collection Cover images need to be a minimum of 324 x 324 but are displayed at only 272 x 272. (If instead of adding a cover image you just let it show the first item in the collection, it displays at 252 x 252.)

Collection banners are 1140 x 315.

Media Files  (the "Media Items" they want you to add at least ten of to your store Home) need to be a minimum of 1440 x 1080. See this post (11/13/2020) for more information on the Media section.

https://forum.zazzle.com/gallery/template_for_creating_a_perfectly_sized_header]Template for creating a perfectly sized header image for your Media section

TIP:  If you forget what size an image should be try using one you [i]know[/i] is very small and you'll get a message on screen telling you that your image is too small and the minimum required size. (Except for Category covers, for some reason you don't get such helpful info when trying to add those.)

You can get an idea of how your store looks on different resolutions & devices by using these simulator tools:

[links deleted]

** Screen resolution simulators no longer work with Zazzle because "To protect your security,  zazzle.com will not allow Firefox to display the page if another site has embedded it."

Store IconStore IconWebsite IconFacebook IconPinterest IconInstagram IconInstagram Icon
26 REPLIES 26

Nadja
New Contributor III

That's always useful, it's great you thought about this. 

Graphic Wanderings

ColsCreations
Honored Contributor

Thank you. It's info I often referred back to myself. I am glad it is one of my few posts I had saved elsewhere from the old forums.

Store IconStore IconWebsite IconFacebook IconPinterest IconInstagram IconInstagram Icon

Emma

Hi ColsCreations, 

Welcome to Zazzle Community! 😁 This is a great first addition to the Store Management section, many thanks for sharing this with our Community! 

- Emma 😀

shellifitz
Valued Contributor

Thank you for thinking to save and repost that Cols! you deserve the hero button, (if that is what is for...) 🤔

DesertSky
Contributor II

Thanks for posting this, it's very helpful!

CrazyMermaid
Valued Contributor II

Thank you for this and all of the other helpful posts - and a huge thank you for not changing your Forum Name. I always look to see what you are explaining.

kcbypatricia
New Contributor II

thank you for taking the time to post this. It's so helpful!

pattycimzah
New Contributor III

My store banner was the perfect size (for years) until today. Now it's been enlarged to the point where everything is bleeding off (on my computer, iPad and iPhone). I looked at other stores and their banners are way off too. What's going on over there at Zazzle??? A lot of changes happening that look like mistakes or glitches.

First, it's descriptions that have been translated to other languages and rewritten in poor English (still not resolved). Then it's the elimination of watermarks whether you want them or not (no explanation). Now this! What's the story?This is not how it's supposed to look!!This is not how it's supposed to look!!

@pattycimzah 

One of the mods mentioned in another thread about the blown-up store banners that they are aware of the issue and working on it.

RochelleM
New Contributor II

Thank you SO much for this information!! 

ColsCreations
Honored Contributor

Important Update as of June 15, 2023

Cover Images for Collections now need to be a minimum of 1480 x 1480

ColsCreations
Honored Contributor

@Windy You're funny. 😀
You're the only one here who's provided an actual example to look at so, what size did you upload that banner at?

Here's what I found to ponder poking around tonight...

While store logos are still showing as .png or .jpg, store banners are showing as .webp
.webp is a lossy image format that's been gaining popularity for web use as it can compress like a .jpg while still having transparency like a .png. It looks like Z is converting whatever file type is uploaded to .webp file type and maybe being over-zealous with the compression level along with also maybe down-sizing the image dimensions. I can't be sure of that since I don't know what size you uploaded your banner at. But here's what I see -

click for full-size imageclick for full-size image

The top image is your store at normal 100% view.
The bottom is your banner image singled out where my browser tells me its size is only 667 x 184. At that size it does look nice and sharp. But here I have stretched it out in my browser to the same size as displayed on the store page and well, you can see it looks the same as on the store page, blurry and pixelated. This is why I think Z is maybe compressing and downsizing images in converting to .webp, and then stretching the conversion out again for display.

Here is what your new banner looks like to me when singled out:

Now here's what my banner I added 5 years ago look like when singled out:

You can see it's also showing as a .webp image type with max dimension being 2280 same as yours, except the actual dimensions are 2048 x 565, just as I uploaded it at. So it's not getting all stretched out for display on my shop page and thus blurry.

So my guess from all this is that newly uploaded banners are being converted to .webp format and getting compressed and re-sized in the process, then stretched back out to fit the viewing screen with less than ideal results, while older existing banners are getting converted too but not re-sized and thus not suffering the same ill effects.
This is all just pure conjecture as I don't know what size you uploaded your banner at. If you did upload it at only 667 x 184 then that's a different story.

Thank you! I'll give that a try and see if it works for me! (I'd never have figured that out, so thanks again!)

Windy
Honored Contributor

I didn't think anyone would actually read my post or look at the store, and therefore, when  I got tired of working on this I quit. I should have done another banner at a very large size with larger words, but the one you see as the banner in the shop is zoomed way in so that people could see the artifacts. They were present also with my full size banner, but it just wasn't obvious enough to make the point.

But, , success! You found what looks to be the problem. So now my question is, why, when we are being told to make the site look better by uploading cover images, are we also having our store banners made to look like a poor quality print job. Seems counterproductive to me.  If I feel the need to make a new store (a real one), I will probably just upload a solid color.

ColsCreations
Honored Contributor

Does that mean you did then upload that first above banner at only 667 x 184? I'm wondering how that's possible as it won't even let me select anything from my gallery that's less than the minimum 1140 x 315.

BelowMinSize.jpg

If you uploaded it at a larger size, I am wondering why it's the only one of all the random banners I checked that showed at such a small size. Every other banner I've looked at shows as 2048 x 566 or within a few pixels of that. So from what I can tell, banners are still being re-sized to 2048 x 565 and then scaled to fit the viewing screen.

Windy
Honored Contributor

That banner you are seeing, was made at the size I had memorized for the  Redbubble  shower curtain, which is 2048 by 5650. Then I used the bounding boxes provided for banner placement, to choose a section of the image for the banner.

Windy
Honored Contributor

https://www.zazzle.com/store/blurrybannershop

EDIT Now I have changed the banner a few times. Looked great at  5650 by 2048 a minute ago and now I have uploaded 2048 by 565. I don't think this one is working as well.  So my recommendation is to go with banner size 2048 by 5650 and it will look pretty good. 

ColsCreations
Honored Contributor

Looking at it now it tells me it's 2048 x 566 and it looks fine to me on my 1920 screen, I don't see any blurriness even when I used Responsive Design Mode to pretend I was on a 3840 wide monitor.

I agree with you though that when in doubt it's better to go larger and have something scaled down then go too small and have it scaled up. I'm not sure about the 5650 by 2048 size though as it's a different aspect ratio, I'd be afraid of it getting cropped or warped.

2048 x 5662048 x 566

5650 x 20485650 x 2048

That did the trick! Thanks so much Col. It also is working on category cover images when saving in that file format.

TAngelone
Contributor III

Thanks for posting this. I was wondering if someone could be so kind as to post what the required dimensions are for product and collections videos. I posed this question earlier here on the forum under Ask a Question. I have searched exhaustively and cannot find what the required dimensions are for video. Should videos be square or rectangular or both? Finally a list of the current required dimensions for cover photos and collections covers is also needed and appreciated. I wish I had posted my questions to this thread first. Thanks in advance. 

Learn All About Our Media Manager

MediaGuidelines.png

They recommend videos be 1080 x 1920 for optimal viewing on mobile. I'm not sure why, my couple videos are smaller but that same ratio and don't look particularly good on my phone, too much space on the sides. Square video looks better.  Here's a screenshot of what they look like on my phone when viewing the mobile version of the website via my phone's browser:

VidSize.jpg

On the Zazzle website, square is best because the layout is designed for square content. The thumbnails, the main image/video view default or clicked to zoom, the main image/video on the left of the collection pods, AND in the MP where videos are now shown in the thumb results.

If you look at this search results page, you'll see the above shirt with square video as the fourth result. Move your mouse over it to see the video play.
Now look at this results page.  The above pillow with the recommended not-square ratio is the 6th result. Move your mouse over it to see it play.
See the difference? The not-square vid is being cropped & zoomed to the square layout, not a good look and disappointing if you put a lot of effort into your vid.

I 100% recommend making all your videos square and ignoring the guidelines suggestion of 9:16 ratio.

Follow-up info:

I wrote in last post "... my couple videos are smaller but that same ratio..."

Zazzle recommends 1080 x 1920. Checking the properties of my files on my computer, I made & uploaded my vids at that exact size. But viewing the info on them in My Images on Zazzle, they are 404 x 720. Likewise the square vid I made & uploaded at 1080 x 1080 but in My Images, Zazzle says it's 720 x 720. So it seems that regardless of what larger size you upload them at, they are being converted to a max size of 720 x 720 to fit the square layouts.

I don't know if Zazzle displays them larger that anywhere, but I'd guess it's like images where it's a good rule of thumb to always go a little larger than required to be safe since being sized down is better than having something too small get sized up.

Connie
Honored Contributor

Wow! This is good to know! Thank you so much for taking the time to experiment, and showing us the real life results!

TAngelone
Contributor III

Again can someone please post what the required video dimensions are for product and collections videos. And yes I have already reviewed the Zazzle Playbook which states that videos need to be 1080 X 1920 PX with an aspect ratio of 9:16 for mobile devices. That stated I have received conflicting information. I have also read here on the Zazzle forum and elsewhere that others are creating square as opposed to rectangular videos. If this is the case then what are the square dimensions? Should one make square and rectangular videos. This is very frustrating when there is nothing to go on and you end up being lost like I and many others are. Thanks again for any and all responses. There needs to be less vague and surface information about these topics. 

CreativeLeahG
Honored Contributor III

Col has answered your question in detail. It's not conflicting information it is varied because there is no hard fast rule, you have choices. There is enough information here for you to make a choice, experiment and see what works for you.

Graphics Bundles ️ Ninja Niche Course Invitation Design Course ️ Mockups and TemplatesFREE Advice/Guides/tips ️by LeahG Pro Platinum

The "less vague" information is that Zazzle says it wants 9:16 vids.  I'm speculating this is probably because they're a good fit for social media (tiktok, insta, pinterest...).  If you make a video in this ratio, it can easily be shared to other social platforms which potentially brings Zazzle more business. They can also choose to share your video on their social accounts and it'll look good on mobile (which is how most people use social media). 

All that said, sellers are noticing that square videos are aesthetically more pleasing on the Zazzle website itself.  You want specific dimensions, so I'd say the smallest you should go is 1480, which is the recommended size for square cover photos. 

It is up to you and your strategy. Like someone said before - if your users are mostly on PC and you don't need your videos for social media and don't care about Zazzle potentially resharing, but do want your videos too look optimized on the Zazzle product page and search pages, then create square.  You have to analyze what's best for you.  If you want to stick to the concrete rule, then that is what Zazzle recommends - 1080x1920.  There's no wrong answer.  You can try all sizes and see what works for you.