Instant Downloads sales stoke thread

Scott
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey Everyone,

Starting this thread as a place where you can share your excitement over selling digital products. As we've mentioned in the past, we're moving very slowly with this test so not a lot of users are seeing the download option. This means that sales may not happen super frequently, which makes a sale slightly more exciting than usual.

Of course, as our own testing progresses we do hope to expand the testing group, and eventually release this feature to everyone.

28 REPLIES 28

Cat
Honored Contributor II

Just made my first digital sale! WOO HOO!!! Here's what it looks like on the royalty reports in case anybody's curious.

digital-download-royalty-report.png

PAZP
Valued Contributor

CONGRATULATIONS, Cat. 

Cat
Honored Contributor II

Hopefully it will be all of us very soon!

ThankYouAlways
New Contributor III

Well done! Cat 😊

plumb4me
Valued Contributor

Congrats, that's awesome!

DancingPelican
Valued Contributor

That’s great news, Cat! Congrats on your first digital sale! 

1234Shine
Contributor II
Big Congrats!!  Would you consider starting a new topic/thread for other creators to share their fantastic digital sales like you do?  Thanks!

Cat
Honored Contributor II

I didn't really mean usurp this thread - just wanted to show everybody that it's actually working and let you all see what to look for on the royalty reports. @Scott if you want to move this to a separate thread please feel free to do so.

DancingPelican
Valued Contributor

Had my first digital baby shower invitation sale this morning! I hope it's the first of many to come. Also had a customer request a digital version of a birthday invitation, but it was not included in the beta test and therefore not available for digital download yet. Good to know there is interest out there. Good luck to all the designers participating in the digital download option! 😀

MasterpieceCafe
Valued Contributor II

Very excited! And a little bit jealous to not be live yet. Patience is hard. 😁

TheDesignerVib1
Contributor II

Me too, I don't have the digital downloads sale yet, I am sure I will have lots of sales once it's available for more people 🙂 

CrazyMermaid
Valued Contributor II

I had my first digital download sale just now. It went better than I expected. (I am a reluctant participant, but feel I have to do it to stay competitive in the market place.) So any glimmer of optimism is remarkable. I made $7.68 on the sale. For perspective, the item was made in June 2021 and has only had 3 sales, the last one in October 2022, so it hasn't been a strong performer. Those sales brought in $9, $13.50and 9.50. We don't know what this customer would have done without digital, but I think $7.68 is within the acceptable range. In fact, it is above my average transaction for Budget versions (in which I am also a reluctant participant). So I am pleased with this sale!

CrazyMermaid
Valued Contributor II

I just got my second digital sale. I should have noted on my earlier post that the first sale product was set at 95% royalty for $7.68. This royalty was set at 92.85% and was non-referred so it totaled $5.27. This invitation was created on 1/17/21 and has had 38 sales that range from .14 to $19.84. 21 of them were below 5.27. If it had been a 3rd-party sale with the carve out or on sale or both, the numbers would not be a rosy. But there is no way of measuring what might have been. It will take a lot more than 2 sales to figure out the trends. 

Harmony
Valued Contributor

Just made my first digital sale! I started with the minimum 92.9% royalty. After being charged for royalty above 15% and also losing money to a third party referral I made 5.25. More than I would likely get for print birthday invitations but way less than if it would have been a wedding order. 

Also the customer purchased one print invitation.... would this have been someone that previously would have bought one and printed elsewhere instead of paying the designer? no way to know. 

angelafuller729
Contributor III

I've had two sales so far - one was from a Valentine card and one from a typography poster.  I'm happy AND it's more net profit than when I was selling digital downloads thru Etsy, so...  😁

KarmaKay
New Contributor III

Crossing my fingers that I'm in on this soon. Maybe it's just too early. I've been making digital downloads since 2009 (I started with Microsoft Word old school .doc files) and have been selling templates on Etsy since 2013. I was super excited for this to roll out because I thought maybe my Zazzle sales would finally match my Etsy sales with the addition of digital here. Boo. I hate waiting lol!

@KarmaKay 

You're in on this now. 😉

Everyone can already make digital download an option on eligible products. But since this all still in a testing phase, only random groups of people can actually see the option on the product page / in the MP. Often you won't see the option in one browser but will in another. This has created a unique situation where the Creator may not be able to see their own digital download option, but others can see it AND purchase it.

I am currently able to see digital downloads in Chrome but not any of my other browsers. I can see yours. I took a screenshot of one as I figured you'd be curious to see how it looks on the product pages, but then thought you and/or the Mods might have a problem with me posting it here. But rest assured, you are already in on it. 😉

Store IconStore IconWebsite IconFacebook IconPinterest IconInstagram IconInstagram Icon

Oh awesome! Thanks so much! I've been wondering. Still no digital sales here : ( But hopefully soon : )

CrazyMermaid
Valued Contributor II

I have to admit that Digital Downloads are working out better than I thought they would. I just had a customer buy both the paper and digital product for the first time. The digital product royalty rate was 92.89% and I made $4.16 because it was a Third Party Referral and 50% off. They bought 10 paper invites with a royalty rate of 12% and I only made $1.30 because it was heavily discounted and a Third Party Referral. 

I am seeing pretty regular digital sales and not one customer has had a problem or asked me a question about the digital process. 

I also had my first digital download sale and they bought both the download and paper copies. It's great 😃

MasterpieceCafe
Valued Contributor II

Got my first digital sale! wOOt! ❤️

LynnRose
Contributor

Just got my first two digital downloads sales. Two different greeting cards to the same customer. 🙂

PAZP
Valued Contributor

CONGRATULATIONS! It's nice to read that your downloads were greeting cards. Had those two cards sold previously as printed products? I only have a couple of my greeting cards offered because I assumed most people would download invitations. I'll be interested to see if any of mine sell. 

Thank you
One card had sold 'printed' 3 times and the other no sales.

LynnRose
Contributor

Sold a 1st Anniversary greeting card / one as a printed card and the same card as a digital product to the same customer 🙂
(no previous sales on this card)

PetStar
Contributor II

Hi. Not sure if this is on topic for this thread but I just sold a digital product and the self referral percentage was 15% rather than the usual 35%. Is this correct? Thanks in advance!

@PetStar 

Yes. A Mod confirmed a while back that for the Promoter Program, digital downloads earn the standard 15% referral not the 35%.
With the high royalty (97 or something %) and a 35% referral, the math in many scenerios would work out to designer's earning more than the customer actually paid. 🤔

Store IconStore IconWebsite IconFacebook IconPinterest IconInstagram IconInstagram Icon